- sugar syrup
- 1/2 cup strawberries, cut in half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 whole black peppercorns
- 6 mint leaves
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 cup strawberries halved or quartered
- 1 shot sugar syrup (25 – 35ml)
- 1 shot white rum (25ml)
- 3 – 4 mint leaves
- 3 – 4 basil leaves
- juice of half a lime
- soda water to top up
- lime wedes / slices to garnish
- extra mint to garnish (optional)
- to make the syrup
- make this in advance. Put all the ingredients into a small pot and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for about 10 – 15 mins (low heat). Allow to cool, strain and refrigerate.
- To make the cocktail add all the ingredients into a beaker, or bowl and muddle it all together ensuring that the strawberries are broken down. Strain this through a small sieve , pressing down so that all the liquid comes out.
- Pour this into a tall glass with loads of ice and top up with soda water (if you want tit a little sweeter you can use lemonade or add more sugar syrup)
- Add your garnish and serve.